Sunday, June 13, 2010

The blog where I explain why I have traveled so much lately...

May & early June is the perfect time to travel if you live in Germany.  Germany is cold & rainy at this time and every other weekend is a 3 or 4-day weekend (love those German holidays!) when stores/shops/restaurants are all closed.* 

My first year in Germany, I didn't know about all these holidays.  As a result, I was stuck inside (rain + cold + shops closed + friends all travelling home = me sitting inside all weekend) on perfectly good long-weekends.  Now I've learned my lesson and make plans in advance to travel on these weekends.   Additionally, summer has started in Europe.  And summer is the best time to travel.  Many ex-pats don't travel during the winter, thereby saving money & vacation days for summer travel.  Hence the reason for all the recent (and upcoming) travel posts.  Plus cheap (and quick) travel within Europe is one of the perks of being an ex-pat!

If you have any suggestions for places to visit (especially those off the beaten path) - I'm happy to hear them!


*Note to travellers planning trips to Germany in May/June - this is a bad time to visit Germany due to the rain & holidays.
*Note to recent transplants to Germany - plan trips in advance for the holiday weekends, or you'll be stuck inside wasting a great chance to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment